Special Event Applications

NOTICE – NYS Re-Opening Plan: As of May 2021

In light of the May 3, 2021 announcement by Governor Cuomo that New York State will begin a significant easing of COVID-19 pandemic restrictions on businesses, gatherings and venues, the Town of East Hampton is ready to resume processing Special Event Permit applications as authorized by the Town Code. 

Increase In Social and Residential Gathering Limits


Outdoor non-residential gathering limit:   500 people beginning on May 10th


Indoor non-residential gathering limit:      250 people beginning May 19th.


Outdoor residential gathering limit:           500 people, with space for appropriate social distancing, beginning on May 19th


Indoor residential gathering limit:              50 people beginning May 19th.

Residential Catered Events & Wedding Receptions can resume at residences beginning May 3 above the State's residential gathering limits as long as the events are staffed by a professional, licensed caterer, permitted by the respective locality or municipality, and strictly adhere to health and safety guidance, including social and event gathering limits, masks, and social distancing. 

Commercial Wedding Receptions are still subject to the same guidance that went into effect on March 15, 2021.

Special Events on Town Beaches:

The Town will resume the issuance of Special Event Permits for gatherings on Town Beaches.  Applications for beach events will be reviewed on a case by case basis and are subject to the current outdoor nonresidential gathering limit.  

Please be aware that the East Hampton Town Trustees require a Trustee Consent application to be submitted to the Trustee office for any gathering that is catered and is being held on a Trustee beach whether it is located in the Town or Village of East Hampton. Applications can be found here: https://ehtrustees.com/applications-fees/special-events/. Applications must be turned into the Trustees office at least 10 days before the event. 

Special Events on Public Property

The Town will review special event permit applications for events on public property on a case by case basis.   Permits are subject to the outdoor non-residential social gathering limitation, and the appropriate social distancing and face covering requirements must be followed. 

Please note that the town is now accepting reservations for outdoor picnic areas and Fort Pond House.

All Other Events

For events that are not listed above, applicants should submit a Special Event Permit Application for the Committee to review.

Special Event Applications

The Special Events Application Form is required for any special event as defined in the East Hampton Town Code Chapter 151 Special Events Permits https://www.ecode360.com/9230260

The standard application form is for events that fall into the following five categories – Residential, Commercial, Public Property (such as public park, beach, or other property which is open to the public), Parade/Walk-Run and Art Sale:

A short form is now available for catered events on public property of less than 50 people if certain conditions are met:

 For a list of all fees pertaining to special events, please refer to the fee schedule below. These fees will be required to apply for and process a permit for a special event(Checks should be made payable to: Town of East Hampton.) Fees not paid at the time the application is submitted, will result in a delay in processing the application.

Special Event applications should be submitted to the Town Clerk, in person or by mail.

Applications for events involving one to 100 participants, must be submitted at least 14 days before the event; for events involving 101 to 249 participants, the application must be submitted at least 30 days before the event; and for events involving 250 or more participants, the applications must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the event. For each application, the Town Clerk has the discretion to waive the submission deadline.

Once an application is deemed complete, it is reviewed by the Special Events Committee who has the authority to issue or deny a permit.

Members of the committee include:

  • EHTPD Chief Michael Sarlo
  • Chief Fire Marshall Dave Browne
  • Clerk of the Trustees Francis Bock
  • Superintendent of Recreation John Rooney
  • Councilman Jeffrey Bragman
  • Councilwoman Kathee Burke-Gonzalez

Ex Officio

  • Town Clerk Carole Brennan
  • Legislative Secretary Gabriella Gelir
  • Representative from Town Attorney’s Office

It should be noted that a Special Events Application is deemed complete upon receipt of a completed application form, any and all applicable fees and a certificate of insurance and indemnification agreement pursuant to § 151-16.