Emergency Communications System
July, 2021: East Hampton Town has nearly completed a town-wide upgrade to its emergency communications system, which is used by EH Town Police, EH and Sag Harbor Village Police, and the EH, Amagansett, Montauk, Springs, and Sag Harbor Fire Departments, along with other town and village departments.
The $12 million project begun in 2017 replaces an antiquated analog system that limited the number of users, and was virtually obsolete, so that replacement parts were difficult to find, with a digital service (shifting from an 800 to a 700-megahertz system). The new system integrates fully with surrounding emergency and public safety systems and provides reliable communication among emergency responders.
The project required updates or additions to towers, monopoles and equipment in Montauk, East Hampton, Wainscott, Amagansett, and Noyac. It includes the addition to the system of three new communications sites, at the so-called “GATR” site in Montauk, in East Hampton at the former Northwest Road brush dump, and in Springs.
Discussion began in July, 2021, regarding a town-owned property in Springs identified as a suitable location for immediate installation of temporary communications equipment, and eventual installation of a permanent communications pole and associated equipment.
Details regarding the Emergency Communications System upgrade and the Springs proposal can be found in the links.
- An Open Letter to the Community from East Hampton Town Supervisor Peter Van Scoyoc Regarding East Hampton Town’s Emergency Communications System
- October, 2022 Update: Emergency Communications Upgrades and Personal Wireless Service Facilities
- Emergency Communications System Upgrade Project, July, 2021 Update
- Emergency Communications Upgrade in Springs July 2021
- Timeline: Emergency Communications System Upgrade and Wireless Cellular Communications Improvements
- Townwide Emergency Communications Upgrade EAF Part I for Towers, July 2021 Update
- Townwide Emergency Communications Upgrade EAF Parts II and III for Towers, July 2021 Update
- Townwide Emergency Communications Upgrade EAF Part I for Towers, October 2018
- Townwide Emergency Communications Upgrade EAF Parts II and III for Towers, October 2018