On March 18, 2021 the East Hampton Town Board adopted legislation regarding the use of gasoline and diesel powered leaf blowers, as well as new registration requirements for commercial landscapers, within the Town of East Hampton. Research shows that gas and diesel powered leaf blowers have many adverse effects on the environment, human health and the peace and quiet of communities.
A summary of the legislation and additional resources can be found below.
- No landscaper, homeowner, business owner, or municipal employee shall operate any gas or diesel-powered leaf blower from May 20 to September 20 of any year.
- No leaf blower of any type may be operated on a Sunday between May 20 and September 20 of any year.
- In addition to a ban on gas and diesel-powered leaf blowers between May 20 to September 20 of any year, the law bans the use of gas-powered leaf blowers during the rest of the year (Sept. 21 to May 19): before 8 a.m. or after 6 p.m. on weekdays; before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. on Saturdays; on Sundays or federal or NYS holidays, unless operated by the homeowner and tenant, and then it may only be used between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- No walk behind leaf blowers powered by gas or diesel shall be utilized upon any property within the Town of East Hampton, unless such property is greater than one acre in area.
- This applies to all properties within the Town of East Hampton.
- Violations may result in suspension or revocation of the East Hampton Town Home Improvement Contractor’s License, and a fine of up to $1,000 for a first offense, and up to $5,000 for multiple offenses.
- For further information or to lodge a complaint please contact the East Hampton Town Ordinance Enforcement Department, 631-324-3858.
- Exceptions: The Supervisor may grant a temporary permit to allow the operation of one or more gas-powered leaf blowers to accommodate a special circumstance. A "special circumstance" includes, among other things, the remediation of an abandoned or neglected property, the cleanup of streets and roadways following a severe storm or any emergency situation which presents an immediate danger to public health and safety. Please check the Town of East Hampton's website "News and Announcements" page for any temporary permit of the use of gas or diesel leaf blowers during periods of restricted use. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPER LICENSE
Commercial landscapers that work in the Town of East Hampton must obtain a commercial landscaper's endorsement to their Home Improvement Contractor's license from the Town Clerk's Office. For questions, please call 631-324-4142 or visit the Town Clerk page.